
I've been wanting to make this post for a while. Last summer Steve showed me some music from a CD called Joseph: A Nashville Tribute that has songs about Joseph Smith and other individuals from the period surrounding the restoration of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
There's one song about Emma Smith that I really liked and has stuck with me (I put it in a music player on the sidebar). This past Monday Steve and I went to see Emma Smith: My Story with his mom and aunt. It was a good movie. It was well made and shared important stories about Emma in a very respectable light. Well, anyway, the movie made me remember this song and how I've been wanting to share it. I'm not an expert on Emma Smith but I know there are a lot of controversial things about her. I agree with the man who wrote the song and lyrics:
"Everyone has his or her version of Emma’s story. But you know what, I am fairly certain that Emma was the only person in her own head during those difficult years; as she laid her precious husband to rest in a secret grave and then watched her dear friends follow a new prophet into more of the unknown."
I don't really know everything there is to know about Emma Smith, but I have a lot of respect for her, even just for the fact that she lost 6 children and a husband. Both the song and the movie reminded me that we're here to love each other and that God loves us too and will judge us righteously.
2 comments:
What a beautiful song! After seeing the movie Emma, I realized even more than I had before that Emma is truly an "elect lady." How blessed we are for the part she played in the restoration of the gospel!
I just listened to the song. What a beautiful, compassionate message!
Post a Comment