On Saturday, Steve took me to see the Utah Symphony and Wasatch Cannoneers (pictured above) perform the 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky (cannons are actually written into the score) at Deer Valley Ski Resort in Park City. Before the concert we stopped by the grocery store and stocked up on snacks and treats. This may seem insignificant to you, but we really don't buy snack foods very much so it was great to pig out on our favorite stuff and enjoy the drive and concert together.
The scenery. I wouldn't mind staying there for a day or two.
Enjoying the concert! (picture courtesy of Steve's shoe)
The concert was great. They played some Leonard Bernstein (mostly West Side Story), Aaron Copland, John William's Olympic Fanfare (one of my favorites...such a sweet song), a Billy Joel Tryptich (they must have been excited about coming up with that one), a tribute to Elvis, and the 1812 Overture, with an encore of John Philip Sousa's Stars and Stripes Forever (another one of my favorites!). The cannons were of course awesome and the 1st one made me jump like a foot in the air.
Our families were here on Sunday for Steve's sustaining (see below post) so on the actual day we spent time with them and took a big long Sunday nap.
I printed off about 100 pictures from our dating/marriage time and gave them to Steve in an album. He got me a really cute and nice plant for our apartment. He's so cute... he looked up 1st anniversary online and found out it's the Paper Anniversary. Apparently plants were on the list of suggested gifts and I didn't complain because it really does make our apartment look nicer and I've been wanting one for a long time.
On Monday night we went back to Buca di Deppo's to redeem the free dinner card they gave us last year when we had our wedding luncheon there. Despite being the *tackiest restaurant on the planet, we had a lot of fun. We got to read the messages we had written to each other on a bottle of sparkling water (gross, but that's all they had that was nonalcoholic... I suggested that we use it to make italian sodas on our 50th. Yum, aged water!). They were pretty funny to read because when we wrote them everyone was standing around us and let's be honest, it's tough to think clearly on your wedding day. It was a great anniversary and I look forward to MANY more.
* Tackiness
A sanitary bathrooms neon sign outside, statues draped in Christmas lights, a table with the pope's head in a glass case as the centerpiece and a peeing statue.
4 comments:
lol... and I looked up "how to flirt" on wikihow in preparation for trying to ask the cute red-head out. We are total geeks.
now if Google would only create a matchmaking service... surely Google, in its infinite brilliance, can find the right girl for me.
Happy anniversary! Looks like you guys had lots of fun :)
Wow, that sounds awesome! I love the cannons... that's cool. And I can't believe the calling. That's awesome. I'm sure you two will learn a lot from it. Did you get released from your calling, Heather? About Big Jud's, of course I would love you guys to come and eat there with us. It would make my day entirely wondeful. Do you have any more time than just dinner? We would love to spend more time you guys. Where are you living in the fall? Sorry so many questions. I haven't seen you in a long time it seems. Have a great day!
bucca IS tacky! i guess i'd really never noticed that before. happy anniversary! :)
Post a Comment