Jun 5, 2008

Rolls

I had a lot of fun making rolls today. Ever since I learned how to not kill yeast, I've been trying to make them every so often because you can pretty much eat them with any meal and they make yummier sandwiches (even if you have to take a few) than cheap store bread.

Usually I half the recipe my mom gave me, but this time I forgot! Our next biggest bowl was dirty so the dough overflowed while rising!

Here are all the rolls! I think we'll be freezing some unless we get mega roll crazy (actually it may be too late for that).

Favorite: Butterhorn (crossiant-looking). Needs improvement: Parker House (normal and mini) Best treat: cinnamon (Disclaimer: I do not actually know the names of rolls, but my cookbook does).

Great Aunt Afton’s Rolls
2 Tablespoons yeast
½ cup warm water
2 cups milk warmed in microwave
6 Tablespoons shortening
1 Tablespoon salt
3 eggs, beaten
6 Tablespoons sugar
Four to make soft dough*, (about 7 cups)

Dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside. Heat milk and dissolve shortening in it. Add salt. Cool slightly. Mix sugar with egg and add to mixture. (At this point you should have combined the yeast, milk mixture and egg mixture.) Add flour to make soft dough. Let set 10 minutes. Knead about 10 minutes or until small bubbles appear in dough. Put in greased bowl, turn dough over to cover top with slight layer of grease. Cover and let rise until double. Roll dough out thick. Cut with round cookie cutter or drinking glass. Stretch the circle a little to make oblong then fold over. Let rise until double in pan. Bake in hot oven* (425 degrees) about 6 minutes.

* I love that my mom had to add in the info in ( )s.

5 comments:

Stacy said...

Yay, rolls!!! I made rolls yesterday, but yours look much prettier than mine ;) I'm going to have to try your recipe some time.

Amy said...

Very impressive! There something that is super overwhelming to me about making homemade bread of any sort-- so I never have. Sad, I know :) Is the recipe from your own Aunt Afton? I adore the name Afton and someday I just know that it is going to grow on Jeff too :)

Heather said...

Way to go Stacy for making rolls too. It was a good day since it was a little colder than normal. And yes, Aunt Afton is my mom's aunt, so my great aunt. It's a very pretty name. I like a lot of my older relatives names like Afton, Emma, Evelyn, etc. They are good.

Meghan said...

Those rolls look so yummy! I am going to have to try your recipe! How do you make them look so pretty?? I'm impressed!

Lisa said...

Heather, those looks amazing!! Good job. I hope you're having a fun summer. Seems like the time has already flown by--only three more months of summer! I'm glad I found your blog.