Jun 16, 2008

Phones, jobs, and cooking adventures

We've definitely been slacking in the blogging area so here's an update.

Phones
Thanks to some really awesome parents, we know have 2 cell phones! We're on my parents' family plan anyway, so they just added another line and told us not to use more minutes than we did when we shared a phone. I can't tell you how wonderful it will be to be able to call each other instead of trying to use e-mail all the time!! Coincidentally, we've both regressed to the phones we had before we were married. Our phone was having problems so I'm using my sister's old phone which is exactly like my old phone and Steve's friend, Chad let us have his old phone which is exactly like the one Steve used to have. Weird.

Jobs


Steve is liking Kohl's. He's just working hard, moving through the binder of to do lists they gave him for his internship, helping out in different parts of the store when they're really busy, and figuring out what area of the store he wants to pick for his "project". Last weekend there was an extra associate's discount in addition to the 15% off he already gets, plus there were lots of Father's day sales so we got GREAT deals on some stuff.



I just started working mornings at Provo Early Education Program (PEEP) as a teacher's aide. I worked there about a year ago and really liked interacting with the kids. I'm still looking fior another part time job for the afternoons since school is done on Thursday, so if you know of anything from about 1-5 let me know!! In addition I'm a research assistant for a professor and doing some tutoring on Saturdays. If you can't tell, I'm anxious to earn some money before I start about 300 hours of unpaid internships next year.

Cooking adventures
We made some cookies a few weeks ago that just turned out really flat and we're not sure why. When we stored them in a tupperware container they all stuck together and ended up as one humongous cookie!

For Father's Day we went to my parents' house. We brought an orange dream cake for dessert and even though I stink at getting cake out of round pans I was able to cover up my mistakes with the frosting and I think it tasted pretty good. Steve had it at his job at the BYU religion department and got the recipe from his coworker who made it. It reminds me a lot of an orange creamsicle and one of Steve's other coworkers claims the frosting is actually made of dreams. Definitely a delicious summer treat when you chill it (besides the fact that you have to turn on the oven to bake the cake).

Orange Dream Cake

White cake mix
3 oz. Orange Jell-O
16 oz. sour cream
12 oz cool whip
1 cup powdered sugar
zest of 1 orange

Make cake mix according to package directions adding half o the Jell-O mix. Bake in round cake pans and cool. Cut the rounds in half horizontally.

Frosting

Mix sour cream and powdered sugar. Fold in cool whip. Divide mixture in half. Frost inner layers of cake with white half of mixture. With second half of frosting, stir in remaining Jell-O mix and zest of orange. Cover the cake with the remaining frosting. Top with remaining zest if desired.

*My note: store this in the refrigerator after making it. If you want to eat it really soon after making it, put it in the freezer. It tastes AMAZING when it's cold.

No comments: