So we've got three quick items today: A couple cute baby-belly updates, a video of our new apartment, and a question about grad school.
The Baby Belly
Here are some updates of the cutest mom around:
| Taken on Friday, at 24 weeks. |
| There is not supposed to be a wedge-shaped gap in the skirt. |
Our New Apartment
As we might have mentioned, we just recently moved (to get a bigger place for the baby). Here's a 2-minute video tour, if you happen to be interested.
Stephen's Grad School
So I really don't like grad school. I mean, in a sense, I'm glad I chose to do grad school--it's already helped me get a job (which I really enjoy), and it's and rounded out my education in some interesting ways.
But now, it's just making my life miserable. Seriously--it makes me unhappy, and it just seems utterly ridiculous to pay thousands to inflict unhappiness on myself. Since I work full time, my evenings are spent either going to class or doing homework for it. I seriously have no free time other than the metro, unless I slack off. Thus it's very hard for me to make time for the things that are important to me, such as dating my wife, being involved in church, working out regularly, and pursuing my writing (and, eventually, playing with my son). I know all students are busy, but this really surpasses any experience I had as an undergraduate. Plus, I'm not really that interested in school-learning anymore.
However, I'm committed to finishing--as a matter of principle, I'm going to finish this, and I do know (at some level) that completing the degree is good for me professionally. Lots of things that produce lasting good come at a heavy initial cost--this is one of them.
So there are two options:
- Keep chugging along, and just plow through just to get it over with as soon as possible. This is nice because even though it stinks now, it means that soon, it will all just be done--no dragging it out.
- Slow down, taking half the class-load but extending the amount of time I'm in school. I feel like this would be nice since I wouldn't be as stressed, and I might be able to live life a bit more, but it does kind of drag things out.
What do you think? Please let us know in the comments.
12 comments:
I love the baby belly pics! So adorable. And as far as grad school goes, I totally get where you're at. Especially once you realize that YOU are paying MONEY to do this, and it makes you question your sanity. I question mine on almost a daily basis.
I'm not sure how much further you have to go, but my vote is to keep chugging along. Sure its miserable, but you'll be done that much sooner. Dragging it out is just that--dragging it out. There will always be something to fill up the time that you clear by taking a half load of courses...may as well just get it out of the way so you can enjoy life in a couple of years (if you can enjoy it now, too, then all the better and more power to you).
I'll be interested to see what you do. Good luck!
I'm probably just being selfish, but I say drag it out a little (at least a year). :) Maybe if you weren't as stressed over school you would find that you enjoyed it more. Good luck with your decision!
I love your new apartment - it's so roomy! The living room is so spacious! And you look great Heather - love the pictures!
As for grad school, my personal opinion is to chug along and get finished. I found that when I got a little burned out, I didn't want to continue that feeling for an extra year. It's hard. Just my two cents. Good luck!
Have you considered dropping to half-time work status? If possible, I would suggest that so you can finish your degree within one more year. I personally think dragging on further than that would be a mistake (just my opinion, though).
If you're working full-time to cover your living expenses, I think your eligibility for student loans should be able to supplement a half-time working income to allow you to continue on in school full-time while having your needs met.
My wife and I had a lot of experience navigating student financial aid during grad school. Give us a call about it if you'd like.
I noticed the baby bump at church today for the first time. She looks so cute. Random comments - the bathroom - pink, indicates the building is an older one (and those colors were all the rage in the 30s - our masterbath is lavendar! Your bedroom furniture looks like my first bedroom set - brings back fond memories. You really have a lot more space - congrats. I think I would cut back to half time for school. Then we would have you around at church for more time. Lots of decisions to make - good luck with those. Enjoyed the video (and Heather taught a great lesson in RS yesterday).
Stephen--Patty here. Thanks so much for the updates, your apartment, Heather's baby boy growth, etc. Here is my opinion--you asked for it! Your life will never be less-busy or less-stressful than it is right now. Putting school off, or cutting down on classes and spreading it out, even though all of your reasons are sound, will just prolong the inevitable. Do it now and you'll be glad you did!
I'm actually living your option number 2. I work full time and then i take about 2-3 classes at night after work. I have far longer then I'd like to admit to finish. I do still get to see Kortney and overall it's not that bad.
Honestly, if i had the option to go back to school full time i would. I've been dragging it out to long and that wears on me. I'd love to be done with school.
My suggestion is that you work hard and get it done quickly.
But if you do choose the latter then maybe we could play Starcraft 2 together? heeh!
There's a lot to be said for getting it done, and you definitely are less busy now than you'll be later. Getting it done quickly is probably the responsible thing to do.
I'd probably spread it out, myself. Life's too short to be miserable.
You might also try slacking off more. It's good for the soul, they say.
Well, being that Sean will be a graduate soon we definitely feel you pain! Although, Sean is only finishing his bachelors, we have two kids so I guess you can say we are experiencing about the same situation.
My advice, from a wifes perspective, do as much as you can before the baby is born, then once he is born, slow things down a little. I tell Sean, you have your whole life to work, make money, do school, but your kids are only little for so long. And, Heather is going to appreciate you being around more once the baby is born.
You are going to want to be around even more when your baby comes, so do as much now so you won't later. If you are dedicated to school, you will finish.
Anyways, that's my two cents! Hope it helps and Congrats on the baby! They are great!
Anna's mum here. I'd say if I were in your shoes- get it done and over with. I'd druther have a tooth pulled quick rather than slow! I'm old now & wish I hadn't taken the time off between finishing and not. Now I have to figure out how to get in 40 credits and still work full-time before I'm finished. So enjoy those little moments!
Hmmm. I don't know. You two are so smart and clever, I'm sure that whichever way you decide, it will work out for you.
But if I had to choose, I think I would say... get it over with as soon as you can, so that you can play with your boy more once he's running around and talking to you.... and the little Heather that might be around too in another few years.
Post a Comment