Mar 11, 2009

Reading and writing

I just gotta get on here to make a plug for reading novels...and writing them.

So, I'm taking this writing class from Brandon Sanderson, who is the author of Elantris, the Mistborn Trilogy, the author of the final book of The Wheel of Time series, and author of my personal favorite, Warbreaker (it's not out yet, but you can read the full book online here). I now officially consider writing one of my hobbies, and hope to continue to pursue it for life.

It's been quite the experience. Seriously...when have you actually looked forward to doing homework? As part of the class, I am writing a novel, which I completely conceptualized and began writing this semester. I am writing 2,000 words weekly, or about 8-10 double-spaced pages per week. It's really great, and a lot of fun. Of course, it's very hard as well, but I definitely enjoy it.

So I'm reading a novel that we're going to discuss in class, a book called Sabriel. It's a very popular YA book (YA = Young Adult = Twilight, Harry Potter, etc.), and it's awesome.

More importantly, it's a lot of fun. So to anybody who used to like reading but because of employment, school, children, laziness, etc. does not read anymore, my challenge to you: pick up a book and read it. It's a lot of fun, and an excellent way to relax, keep your mind sharp, and be exposed to lots of creativity.

2 comments:

Allyson said...

Yay for reading! Jed and I (mostly Jed) have been into reading classics lately. I'm currently reading "I know why the cage bird sings" and Jed is reading "Grapes of Wrath". I'm really excited that I've convinced Jed to being "Lord of the Flies" next! Happy reading Stephen!

Mandy said...

I love Sabriel! My brother read it years and years ago and I read it after him. Now I'll pick it up every once in a while if I've got a little extra time on my hands. Hooray for reading!